Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA) is seeking qualiﬁed applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students for the summer. SCA is America’s #1 Conservation Service Organization.
SCA is seeking a qualiﬁed Field Leader to run the Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) program at Potomac River National Wildlife Refuge Complex near Woodbridge, VA. Leader must have local housing. The YCC program employs 4 local youth to complete conservation service project at the refuge. Work projects on the Refuge may include building and improving trails, removing invasive plants, and contributing to wildlife management programs. The YCC Crew Leader will lead the crew in their daily activities and be responsible for the administrative requirements for the crew, including reporting time and completing a narrative report of accomplishments. The Crew Leader will also set up education opportunities for the members with refuge staff.
- Follow all SCA and agency partner Field Operating Standards as required for the position
- Complete pre-program duties on and off program site
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Facilitate crew operations: tools & equipment, work schedule
- Manage all medical and ﬁrst aid aspects
- Communicate with full time refuge and SCA ﬁeld staff as required
- Supervise crew members on full time basis 8 hours/day, 5 days/week
- Train & supervise Crew Members in safe and proper tool use
- Complete required post-program reporting and documentation
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Must have housing close to the refuge (Woodbridge, VA)
- Must possess current required Wilderness First Aid certiﬁcation (WFR preferred) & CPR by the start date of the orientation training.
- Documented experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18)
- Experience as a teacher or leader in an informal or formal educational environment
- Experience with outdoor living skills. Can include: camping (two weeks or more), hiking, safety awareness, leave no trace, camping, basic map/compass
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, i.e., trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw. May also include experience with carpentry, landscaping, gardening, etc.
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more and hike 5 or more miles
- Excellent communication skills needed
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
Compensation: Salary $560/week; mandatory paid Crew Leader Orientation & Work Skills ($455.00/week, food & lodging provided); travel allowance to training.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a proﬁle, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org