The MLB Colorado Rockies and Aramark have partnered with The Institute for the Built Environment at Colorado State University and Designs by Sundown to produce a sustainable on-site garden that will provide herbs and vegetables for use in several concessions items at Coors Field, reports the Centennial Citizen. These include the Mountain Ranch Club menu and build-your-own salad station.Read more
Aramark Sustainability Internships
From 2010 through 2013 SCA has teamed up with ARAMARK – a leader in food services and facilities management – to offer a broad spectrum of hands-on sustainability internships at universities, K-12 schools, businesses, hospitals, sports stadiums, and National Park sites nationwide, as well as a few international locations. Jobs may include responsible procurement, sustainable building operations, waste management, nutritional awareness, and much more. These internships were designed to provide a career pathway into traditional operational roles throughout ARAMARK, where sustainability expertise is of increasing importance.
“I would never have imagined that I could have a job that incorporates sustainability and large-scale food service, but through my sustainable dining internship with ARAMARK I have found a job that I love.”
— Ila Galanti, ARAMARK Registered Dietician at the University of Chicago
“I’ve always had an interest in the environment, but I couldn’t see myself as a biologist in the field. I wanted to work in a setting with more practical applications, and straddle business and environmental issues. It’s awesome that the company [ARAMARK] supports this approach.”
— Caroline Gorham, ARAMARK Sustainability Intern at UNC-Wilmington, later hired as Sustainability Manager at UNC-CH for ARAMARK
- Internships are offered for periods of 6 to 9 months.
- Opportunities are available at ARAMARK locations including universities, K-12 schools, businesses, hospitals, sports stadiums, and National Parks in the US and abroad.
- Depending upon the scope of responsibilities, positions are full-time (40 hrs/wk) or part-time (20 hrs/wk).
- Health insurance is available at no extra cost.
- Competitive wages are offered.
- Interns will also receive specific on-the-job training at their internship location, depending upon needs.
- All selected interns are required to attend an expenses-paid training and orientation program
- Interns must arrange for their own housing during internship. For some ARAMARK National Park locations, low-cost onsite housing may be available.
Currently enrolled college juniors, seniors, or graduate students, or people with substantial professional experience, are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should possess the following:
- Academic degree (completed or in progress) related to environmental issues, sustainability, business, nutrition, culinary or hospitality. (Other degrees will be accepted based on extracurricular activities and interests.)
- Knowledge or career interests in hospitality and tourism, facilities services, food service, or nutrition.
- Ability to develop and manage projects independently.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
- Understanding of the importance of meeting unique client and consumer needs.
- Capacity and know-how to navigate the challenges of implementing sustainability initiatives.
- Interest in working in the business world, and infusing sustainability into operational roles.
- Previous experience or future interest in working at ARAMARK is a plus.