SCA has teamed up with ARAMARK—a leader in food services and facilities management—to offer a broad spectrum of hands-on sustainability internships at universities, K-12 schools, businesses, hospitals, sports stadiums and national park sites nationwide, as well as a few international locations. Jobs may include responsible procurement, sustainable building operations, waste management, nutritional awareness and much more. These internships are designed to provide a career pathway into traditional operational roles throughout ARAMARK, where sustainability expertise is of increasing importance.
"I would never have imagined that I could have a job that incorporates sustainability and large-scale foodservice, but through my sustainable dining internship with ARAMARK I have found a job that I love."
-- Ila Galanti, ARAMARK Registered Dietician at the University of Chicago
"I've always had an interest in the environment, but I couldn't see myself as a biologist in the field. I wanted to work in a setting with more practical application, and straddle business and environmental issues. It's awesome that the company [ARAMARK] supports this approach."
-- Caroline Gorham, ARAMARK Sustainability Intern at UNC-Wilmington, later hired as Sustainability Manager at UNC-CH for ARAMARK
Position locations include
: Denali, AK; Pacific Grove, CA; Carrollton, GA; Boston, MA; Waltham, MA; Baltimore, MD; Allendale, MI; Maryville, MO; St. Louis, MO; Tahoe, NV; Cleveland, OH; Philadelphia, PA; Charleston, SC; Clemson, SC; Rapid City, SD; Canyon, TX; Nacogdoches, TX; Waco, TX; Charlottesville, VA; Harrisonburg, VA; Olympia, WA; Olympic National Park, WA
- Internships are offered for a period of 6 to 9 months.
- Opportunities are available at ARAMARK locations, including universities, K-12 schools, businesses, hospitals, sports stadiums, and national parks in the US and International.
- Depending upon the scope of responsibilities, positions are full time (40 hrs) or part time (20 hrs).
- Health insurance available at no extra cost.
- Competitive wages offered.
- Interns will also receive specific on-the-job training at their internship location, depending upon needs.
- All selected interns are required to attend an expenses-paid training and orientation program the week of May 28th, 2013 in Philadelphia, PA.
- Interns must arrange for their own housing during internship. For some ARAMARK national park locations, onsite housing may be available at a low-cost.
- Currently enrolled college juniors, seniors or graduate students, or people with +/- 5 years professional experience.
- Academic degree, experience or interest specific to or related to environmental issues, sustainability, business, nutrition, culinary or hospitality is strongly preferred. (Other degrees will be accepted based on extracurricular activities and interests).
- Studies, knowledge or career interests in hospitality and tourism, facilities services, food service or nutrition strongly encouraged.
- Self-starter who is able to independently develop and manage projects.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
- Understanding of the importance of meeting unique client and consumer needs.
- Capacity and know-how to navigate the challenges of implementing sustainability initiatives.
- Interest working in the business world, and infusing sustainability into operational roles.
- Previous experience and future interest in working at ARAMARK is a plus.