Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students for the Washington DC Summer Crew Programs.
Co-lead, mentor and coach a crew of 10 students, ages 15-19, while completing various conservation service projects designed to build an ethic of community and environmental stewardship. Projects include a range of activities such as trail and park maintenance, habitat restoration, revitalization of abandoned urban properties or to urban agriculture and run for6 weeks at a time. In addition, leaders will facilitate pre- and post- program planning which includes crew training, environmental education and reporting. The 2013 Washington DC Program locations include:
Rock Creek Park ** Fort Dupont Park ** Greenbelt ** Fort Washington ** Washington Youth Garden
Program Dates: July 1st – August 9th, 2013
- Train crew members in safe and proper tool use
- Facilitate crew operations: tools & equipment, work schedule, etc.
- Supervise crew members during the work day
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Manage all medical and first aid aspects
- Communicate with full time SCA field staff as required
- Organize & lead recreation trip after completion of work project
- Complete required program reporting and documentation
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: June 6th - June 14th, 2013 (Other dates available for qualified Leaders)
- Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18), teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in program city
Compensation: Total program salary up to $4,000 total salary depending on experience & crew length. Crew Leader Orientation & Work Skills (travel, food & lodging provided).
To Apply: Click Login  or Sign Up . Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email scaDC@thesca.org  and/or email@example.com  with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org