Become part of the national service corps and work as part of the Iowa DNR AmeriCorps Trail Crew helping to restore and maintain trails in Iowa’s state parks! This will include performing a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and technical tasks which may include the following job duties;
- Restore and construct trails in Iowa’s state parks.
- Build erosion control structures and devices such as pedestrian bridges, boardwalks, retaining walls, and staircases.
- Restore native ecosystems and prairies.
- Safely operate and maintain tools and equipment.
- Recruit and organize volunteers.
- Design and implement AmeriCorps community service projects.
- Deploy for disaster relief assistance.
Trail Crew life both challenges and rewards. Our crew has the opportunity to job shadow with DNR specialists, camp in Iowa state parks, work outdoors, and build lasting friendships!
Fourteen summer AmeriCorps positions are available. AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance and an education award upon successful completion of service. These positions are funded by an AmeriCorps grant and as such require the successful candidate to complete all of the required activities as outlined in the member handbook and member service agreement. More information about AmeriCorps can be found at http://www.americorps.gov .
3 month positions will run from May 17 – August 8, 2013
Living Stipend: $3,176 divided and paid every two weeks during a
3 month term of service plus $1,468 education award upon successful completion of term of service. This award can be used to pay off qualified student loans or to finance college, graduate school, or vocational training at eligible institutions
- Must be available for all trainings as required.
- Open to U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens
- Must be at least 17 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Capable of lifting loads up to 70 lbs. for short periods of time.
- The ability to work cooperatively under stressful working conditions
- Must demonstrate teamwork and display high standards of ethical conduct.
- Willingness to learn preventive maintenance for machines and equipment used on the job.
- Willingness and ability to commute and live at state parks across Iowa for the duration of the work week.
- Regular, full time attendance is required.
- Capacity to adjust to change.
- Capable of using a variety of hand and/or power tools.
- Ability to produce quality work in a timely manner.
- Willingness to work extended hours and occasional weekends.
Post Close Date: February 18, 2013
To Apply: To receive full consideration please e-mail a resume, cover letter, and two work, volunteer, or school references to firstname.lastname@example.org . You may call 515-281-8959.