Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization is seeking an experienced, quality oriented outdoor leader to supervise teams of five Veteran members working in partnership with the US Forest Service to complete fire/fuels management work. Projects may include participation on prescribed fires, fuels reduction, fire effects monitoring, FIREWISE educational outreach and pre-fire preparation of burn units; in the following areas:
- Intermountain West
Program Dates: April 14, 2013 - July 25, 2013 (subject to change)
Work schedule may vary; working up to 4 consecutive 10-hour days with 3 days off
Veterans Fire Corps provides recent Veterans with the training, credentials and experience needed to competitively pursue wildland fire and/or forestry careers.
- Lead and manage work outcomes and crew dynamics
- Facilitate team operations: food planning/purchasing, tools & equipment, vehicles, housing arrangements
- Actively manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environment
- Assist in the GPS/GIS skills training of corps members
- Manage the quality & technique of work performed
- Promote leadership development within team and evaluate success & potential
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Work collaboratively with agency on program logistics
- Ensure successful and timely completion of work project
- Communicate with SCA field support staff as required
- Complete required program reporting and documentation
- Oversee presentation of project data to agency partner
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Ensure compliance with all SCA Risk Management policies & procedures
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Previous experience with Storm water management
- Wilderness First Responder/CPR certification
- Minimum 2 years prior experience supervising groups in an outdoor setting
- Extensive fire line, chainsaw, or veterans programming experience; if a Veteran, must have been honorably discharged
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to hike on rough, uneven terrain, and pass the Wildland Fire Fighters’ arduous pack test (3 miles in 45 mins. with a 45lb pack on)
- Preferred skill set: Experience leading veterans or fire crews, S212 federal chainsaw certification, S130/S190 federal fire certifications, forestry, geography, GIS, range management, outdoor education and/or related subjects; plant identification; map & compass skills; camping skills; enthusiasm for the outdoors; and a sense of adventure.
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
To apply: Login  or Sign up  & create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Field Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references (and DD-214 if a veteran). Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com  with your interest so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org