Founded in 1998 by a coalition of youth, educators, and community leaders, Literacy for Environmental Justice (LEJ) addresses the ecological and health concerns of Bayview Hunters Point and the surrounding communities of southeast San Francisco. The mission of LEJ is to foster an understanding of the principles of environmental justice and urban sustainability in our young people in order to promote the long-term health of our communities. We provide paid internships to Bayview Hunters Point youth in environmental health, natural ecology, and food security, and we offer free hands-on environmental educational programs to schools, colleges and youth programs on our sites.
LEJ is currently seeking a contract grant writer to solicit existing and potential funding sources to maximize organizational financial support. Grant writer will work closely with Program Directors and the Board of Directors to support grant writing for RFPs and LOIs, as well as the writing of progress and final reports for existing grants.
Title: Grant Writer
Reports to: Staff Departmental Directors
Open until filled
Term: time permitted to complete a series of proposals due in the next 6 months
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work closely with a staff Departmental Directors in writing proposals to solicit, retain, and maximize financial support.
• Plans and coordinates proposal development, including research, data collection, writing, budget creation, creation of goals, objective and outcomes, as well as collection and/or creation of other supporting materials.
• Contribute to a positive work environment that fosters teamwork and provides for personal and organizational growth for self and co-workers using a shared leadership model.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
• Strong writing skills are required
• 3-5 years experience in non-profit grant writing and demonstrated success in researching, writing and managing grants.
• Grant writing for environmental education, environmental justice, youth leadership, park stewardship, and sustainability projects and organizations.
• Excellent research, planning, conceptual, and strategic-thinking skills.
• Familiarity with private, public, federal, and governmental funding sources.
• Ability to work effectively in a team setting and across departments and to be generative with independent work completion.
• Proficiency with Word, Excel, web-based research, cloud-based file sharing
COMPENSATION: Please provide suggested hourly rates.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please no phone inquiries. Only potential candidates will be contacted.