Trailhead Shuttle Driver
For 2013, we expect to hire 1-2 new staff for this position.
We deliver clients to all reaches of Zion National Park for climbing, hiking, canyoneering, and sightseeing. We shuttle with Mercedes Sprinter and Ford Econo line Vans, offering balance between client comfort, visibility, and enabling you to passenger transport on and off-road. Much of the driving we do is on bumpy dirt roads. Though our passenger vans are not 4-wheel drive, they handle 95% of the occasions for transport flawlessly. We do maintain a 4 x 4 Toyota Land Cruiser for transport during adverse weather conditions. Drivers need to be patient, courteous, and conversational with clients. We seek individuals who are able trailhead drivers, active canyoneers AND hikers. Clients frequently have question about trailheads, hikes, and canyoneering routes in Zion and knowldege of this information is essential. Shuttle drivers also receive outfitter training to be able to handle reservations, refunds, and cash register sales.
• Driving courteously
• Transporting clients as safely, comfortably and efficiently as possible
• Avoiding risks which could harm passengers, the vehicles, or the environment
• Running efficient shuttles without creating the hurried feeling
• Solving problems with grace and efficiency
• Helping connect clients with guided events, Narrows rentals, and other Zion activities
• Facilitating meaningful, helpful, informative, and pleasant conversations with customers
• Operating single run and back-to-back morning shuttles (6:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.) to Chamberlain’s Ranch upon “opening” of the Narrows. Opening is typically mid- to late May, but depends upon river flow and Park regulations.
• Destinations also include the Kolob Terrace and Kolob Canyons sections of the Park.
• Early arrivals at work. Drivers of 6:30 AM shuttles arrive ZAC by 6:10 AM, which makes for early mornings, and an early end to the work day. If you much of a commute, you will likely be getting out of bed before 5:00 AM
• Some days drivers run one shuttle, logging a 3.5 hour work day and completing work around 9:30. Other days drivers run two shuttles, logging a 6.5 hour work day and completing work around 12:30PM
• Maintaining the shuttle vehicle for cleanliness, fueling, and informing Maintenance Coordinator of possible problems and needed repairs
• Being able to change flat tires on trips, possibly along unimproved roads
• Offering expertise on local recreation opportunities and logistics
• Building an impressive knowledge base of the roads, hikes, canyons, and hidden secrets of Zion National Park and the surrounding area on personal time
Training begins at $12/hour; eligible for raises after competency is proven to all trailhead and canyon access.
Part- and full-time job positions available with a minimum driver schedule of two days per week to qualify. Start dates begin May 1 and extend into October.
1) Must have a valid clean drivers license with a commercial taxi endorsement prior to the first day of work (requires a written test at DMV).
2) Must acquire Utah Department of Transportation Med Card (requires physical with doctor who does UDOT Med Card Exams).
3) Must have valid First Aid and CPR certification or WFR
4) Must be at least 22 years of age upon start of work (vehicle insurance requirement)
• An astounding clientele, from all ages, places, and walks of life
• Opportunity to work outside
• Live within the towering walls of Zion National Park
• Pro-purchase opportunities from many outdoor equipment manufacturers
• Work with an incredible team connected individuals dedicated to a high quality of life for themselves and our guests. We want the same for you. Unlike cubicle neighbors, we get to know each other. Our staff want each other to be great, to pursue excellence in all we do, to support each other, be supported and deliver a high level of performance every day.
• Free tuition for ZAC guided trips and courses in canyoneering, climbing, mountain biking, hiking, and road biking
• Free use of company rental gear for personal recreation days
Application Deadline: February 15, 2013