The NW Energy Coalition is an alliance of more than 110 environmental, civic, and human service organizations, progressive utilities and businesses in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and British Columbia. We promote development of energy efficiency and renewable energy, low-income and consumer protection in energy policy decisions, and fish and wildlife restoration on the Columbia and Snake Rivers.
Energy policy is critical to the economic and environmental health of the Northwest. Ensuring that individual utilities, state governments and the region pursue clean and affordable energy strategies for meeting our need for power is a central focus for the Coalition. We drive home the link between energy resource development and climate change. Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the power sector is a top priority.
This position is located in Seattle.
The Development Associate is responsible for working in concert with the Executive Director, Executive Board, members and staff on the planning and implementation of various fundraising programs. This position will work with the staff and board to cultivate and solicit new funding opportunities and to develop strategies to broaden the base of donors and members.
Development program areas and responsibilities:
Major donor campaign:
• Support the Executive Director, Executive Board and organizational members in identifying and cultivating new individual donor prospects.
• Create, direct and manage a new proactive prospect program aimed at significantly increasing support from major donors.
• Document all major gift prospecting, donation and acknowledgement activities.
• Manage and coordinate special events to engage members and cultivate prospects.
• Work with the staff and Executive Board to research and identify potential new foundation support.
• Support outreach staff in retaining existing members and engaging members in outreach activities.
• Support outreach staff in expanding the Coalition’s organizational and individual membership, including prospect research, outreach to potential members and the development of new methods to increase membership.
This position conducts a wide range of activities to raise funds for the organization and provides administrative support to the Executive Director, Executive Board, staff and members related to development activities. Skilled administrative and clerical duties directly related to development activities include:
• Maintaining donor databases
• Developing/sending mailings
• Coordinating placement of advertisements
• Coordinating and assisting with special events;
• Acknowledging gifts and donations
• Developing effective working relationships with members, donors, government and foundation representatives and others to nurture their connection to the organization.
Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline and two years experience in non-profit fundraising. Experience may substitute for education. Applicants should have demonstrated experience in database management, donor prospecting and cultivation, and events coordination.
Salary and benefits: Salary $35,000 to $40,000 DOE. Excellent benefits include generous dental and medical insurance, paid vacation and employer matching retirement plan. NWEC is an equal opportunity employer.
Position is open until filled. Application review will begin 12/13/11. In order to help us process applications efficiently, please observe the following:
1.) Please submit your application via e-mail to Gwen Heisterkamp at gwen (at) nwenergy (dot) org.
2.) In the subject line of your e-mail: “First name Last name, Development Associate”
3.) In the body of your e-mail, please indicate where you found out about the position.
4.) Please include a resume, cover letter and a writing sample