Natural Resources Defense Council
Urban Research Fellow
New York Office
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a global non-profit environmental organization with more than 1.2 million members and online activists. We have offices in New York, Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and Beijing. Our staff of over 350 includes lawyers, scientists, economists, and policy analysts who work to protect the environment and public health through advocacy and education.
The Urban Fellowship is a one year fellowship as a research assistant for the Urban Program in our New York Office, specifically assisting in NRDC’s inter-connected work on (a) Sport and other Greening Initiatives; (b) Paper Industry Reform; (c) National Solid Waste; and (d) and the Cumberland Plateau BioGem.
• Provide research, technical and other support in maintaining greening partnerships with sports leagues and teams (e.g., NHL, NBA, MLB) and entertainment groups (e.g., the Broadway Green Alliance and Warner Music Group),.
• Provide ongoing assistance in research and coordination of sports and entertainment greening efforts for high-profile events such as the Academy Awards, the Grammy Awards, NBA, MLB and NHL All Star Games, and US Open.
• Research, develop and manage content for NRDC Greening Advisor for Business, a customized online environmental resource guide used by companies, facilities and events as a tool to assist in reducing environmental impacts, and other NRDC Greening Advisors, including those for MLB, NBA, NHL, USTA, and the Recording Academy.
• Assist with national solid waste campaigns, including those relating to ocean plastics pollution, garbage incineration/conversion technologies and “extended producer responsibility”
• Assist on research related to the Cumberland Plateau BioGem, the paper industry and mountaintop removal.
• Provide ongoing written compilations reporting on Urban Program greening work, for use on NRDC’s website, blogs, internal and external memos, and press outreach.
• Assist in responding to inquiries from NRDC members, media, and organizations pertaining to paper, solid waste, recycling, ecologically intelligent procurement, and greening initiatives.
Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
• Bachelors Degree
• Science training, web skills, and familiarity with environmental issues are recommended, though not required
• Good written and oral communication skills, capable of condensing large amounts of information into a concise, readable format.
• Ability to work independently, coordinate diverse and demanding research projects simultaneously, and be willing and able to quickly learn new skills and concepts.
• Ability to organize a number of tasks, set priorities, and pay meticulous attention to detail.
• Excellent research, writing and public speaking skills.
• Must possess a high degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office and Outlook.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment and are committed to workplace diversity. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. To apply please go to www.nrdc.org/jobs. Please do not contact us about this position by phone. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.