Gifford Pinchot Wilderness Trail Team Member (AmeriCorps)
August 10, 2009 - October 2, 2009
Northwest Service Academy - Mt Adams Center www.mtadamscenter.org
Gifford Pinchot National Forest, Trout Lake, WA 98650
Position Description: http://www.mtadamscenter.org/open-positions.cfm
The Gifford Pinchot Wilderness Trail Team is composed of five team members. The team will focus on trail restoration work in predominately backcountry settings in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest wilderness areas. Trail restoration projects will include extensive tread and drainage repair and log out using non-mechanized hand tools, and may require hiking long distances with heavy backpacks to and from the work site.
The team is based out of the Mt. Adams Center in Trout Lake, WA. They will spike out at front and backcountry campsites during work projects, and will return to the Mt. Adams Center for days off. Lodging is provided at the Mt. Adams Center during days off. All team members assist with daily residential chores such as meal preparation and cleaning at campsites and the Mt. Adams Center.
(please see full position description at http://www.mtadamscenter.org/open-positions.cfm
to view all position requirements):
1. Capable of handling the physical nature of the projects, such as the ability to carry 50 pounds over rough steep terrain, work in adverse weather conditions, walk up to 10 miles a day to reach job sites, and working on your feet outdoors in rugged terrain for 8+ hours a day.
2. Knowledge of operation and maintenance of several hand tools necessary for trail maintenance and reconstruction (for example crosscut saw, rock bar, mattock and pulaski).
3. Ability to provide the necessary gear for the position, including a tent, sleeping bag, and a pair of 8" high all-leather boots.
4. Backcountry camping experience.
5. 21 years of age or older, at beginning of service term.
6. U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident.
7. Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent, or commit to earning one prior to receiving an education award.
8. Ability to commit to the full term of service for which they are applying.
9. Must successfully pass a fingerprint criminal history background check provided through NWSA and/or Project Sponsor Agency.
10. Have not previously served two terms in an AmeriCorps*State or National program. Members may serve up to three terms in a National Service Program, but only two terms may be within an AmeriCorps*State or National program. Members are only eligible for an education award for their first two terms of service, regardless of the type of term (full or part-time) and regardless of the successful completion of that term.
1. Ability to construct and maintain water bars, rolling dips, trail tread, back slopes, ditches and other trail features.
2. Certification to Forest Service standards for operation of crosscut saws.
3. Previous AmeriCorps experience.
Member Benefits Include:
1. A total taxable living allowance of $2,012.00 (before taxes and monthly program fee). Please note: each month a program fee of $300.00 is deducted from this amount to cover residential and training expense.
2. Upon successful completion of a term of service, eligible members/leaders receive an education award of $1,000. The education award can be used to repay qualified student loans, for further education in an accredited institution of higher learning, vocational or trade schools. The education award is taxed in the year that it is used.
3. Loan forbearance (after successful completion of a term of service, AmeriCorps will pay the accrued interest on qualified loans, which is taxable).
4. Free housing is provided for this position.
How to apply:
- Complete your application in one of the following two ways:
OPTION A: Online at the AmeriCorps website AmeriCorps Application
If you do not already have a username and password, you must Create A Profile
-Once you have logged in, create an application by clicking "Applications" under the "My AmeriCorps" menu.
-To apply to this specific position, click "Search Listings" under the "My AmeriCorps" menu and search for program name Northwest Service Academy-MAC.
-Select the position listing and click "Apply Now" at the bottom of the page.
OPTION B: Download application materials from the How to Apply
http://nwserviceacademy.org/apply.cfm page of our website and submit them to Amanda Green:
- Complete the NWSA AmeriCorps Application and submit it via email (preferable), mail, or fax.
- Two Written References
- Have your recommenders fill out the NWSA Reference Form and send it directly to NWSA. References may be submitted by email (preferable), mail, or fax.
- Certification Form
- Print out, sign and date the Certification Form. This document must be mailed to our office.
- Send resume and cover letter to Amanda Green at email@example.com
Contact Amanda Green at firstname.lastname@example.org