Position Title: Environmental Education Program Director
Reports to: President
Position Status: Full-time, exempt, benefits-eligible
Position Summary: The Vermont Institute of Natural Science (VINS) is looking for a highly qualified candidate to fill our Environmental Education Program Director position. The Program Director reports directly to the president and is responsible for overall leadership of VINS’ environmental education programs. The Program Director ensures that all VINS’ education programs are high-quality, innovative, exciting, and financially sustainable.
VINS’ environmental education programs include programs for children, adults, citizen scientists, and professional educators. Our programs are based on current science and delivered in schools, camps, and communities throughout Vermont and New Hampshire, and at the VINS Nature Center in Quechee, Vermont. In addition to leading the development and delivery of programs, the Program Director oversees the design and management of exhibits at the VINS Nature Center, as well as the care of VINS’ collection of wild birds and other live animals featured in our programs and exhibits.
VINS’ programs are both grant-funded and fee-based. The Environmental Education Program Director manages an annual budget of approximately $600,000, directly supervises four line managers, and oversees a total staff of 11 full-time employees.
• Develop and direct implementation of VINS’ multi-year program plan and budget.
• Oversee ongoing curriculum development and evaluation of VINS’ programs.
• Oversee ongoing exhibit planning and management at the VINS Nature Center.
• Oversee ongoing integration of VINS’ wildlife rehabilitation work with formal and non-formal environmental education programs and exhibits.
• Plan and direct efforts, including grant development and donor cultivation, to secure external funding for VINS’ environmental education programs and services.
• Supervise, evaluate, oversee training of, and otherwise support VINS’ staff of environmental educators and wildlife rehabilitation specialists.
• Under the President’s direction, serve as lead staff member to the Program Committee of the VINS Board of Trustees.
• Represent VINS to appropriate state, regional and national education organizations, stay current on research and trends in formal and non-formal education programming, and foster VINS’ leadership role in environmental education.
• Facilitate external partnerships that advance VINS’ mission and cost-effectively enhance and promote VINS’ environmental education programs and services.
• Perform other planning and management duties, as assigned.
• BA/BS degree and at least three years’ experience in environmental education programs and curriculum design and implementation, or equivalent experience.
• Familiarity with effective methods of science instruction and interpretation.
• Demonstrated ability to envision, develop, and manage implementation of creative and effective environmental education programs.
• Demonstrated ability to secure program funds through grant development and other fundraising.
• Experience in planning and developing education exhibits that appeal to target audiences.
• Experience in budget administration and staff supervision.
• Excellent public speaking, writing, and analytical skills.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
• Advanced degree or certification (e.g., as educator, naturalist, wildlife rehabilitator, etc.), or equivalent experience.
• Experience in nonprofit management and conservation- or science-related fields.
• Knowledge of and experience with public and private education, especially in the sciences.
• Familiarity with state and national education standards.
• Experience building collaborations with outside parties and negotiating contracts.
• Experience managing nature center, zoo, or museum facilities.
• Experience in business or marketing.
Work Week: Monday – Friday, with evenings and weekends as needed
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Application: To apply for this position, send BY E-MAIL ONLY a cover letter, resume, and a list of at least three employer references to Calah Beckwith at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for Applications: June 19, 2009