Position Type: Field-based, seasonal, full-time, minimum 11 week program commitment
Location: Colorado Springs office - seven counties along southern Front Range in Colorado.
Compensation: $320 weekly stipend.
Includes transportation to projects, uniforms, environmental
education and training, some camping equipment, food while camping and some travel opportunities.
AmeriCorps Benefits: AmeriCorps education award to qualified individuals.
300-450 Service Hours/$1,000-$1,415 Education Award
Season Dates: late May thru mid August
Reports To: Crew Leader
Mile High Youth Corps-Colorado Springs (MHYC-CS) is a regional, non-profit, AmeriCorps (www.americorps.gov) affiliated organization operating in Colorado Springs that provides employment, education and leadership opportunities for young adults ages 18-24. The goal of MHYC-CS is to improve life-skills, work readiness, employment prospects, and economic independence for youth, while also teaching them respect for natural resources and the outdoors. Our Corp Members work on conservation and environmental stewardship projects, such as fencing, weed mitigation, park development, rehabilitation of sensitive riparian areas, and trail building and maintenance, on public lands in both urban and rural areas.
Young adults complete conservation projects on public lands throughout a diverse region that includes Custer, El Paso, Fremont, Huerfano, Las Animas, Pueblo, and Teller counties. Project examples are fencing, campground improvement, trail construction and improvement, park improvements and development. Crews consist of 8-10 Corpsmembers supervised by adult Crew Leaders. The camping crew meets and travels to work sites as a team in Corps vehicles and usually camps onsite at the project location for 10 days before returning home for 4 days off. The program requires primarily front country camping but may include some back country camping involving hiking into remote campsites. The crew is responsible for planning and cooking meals and completing team-based chores. This job requires flexibility.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Work on a crew with other young adults completing service and conservation projects throughout the Southern Front Range of Colorado.
• Work as a member of a team to complete on-site conservation projects using basic hand tools.
• Participate responsibly in day-to-day aspects of crew life in camp and at work.
• Fully participate in environmental education, leadership development, civic engagement, healthy lifestyles, career development, and service learning opportunities.
• Adhere to all safety rules and regulations.
• Adhere to the rules and regulations specified in the MHYC Employee and Corpsmember Handbooks.
• Follow Leave No Trace camping techniques.
• Must be between the ages of 18-24 and eligible for employment in the United States
• Must commit to complete the program and participate fully in work projects, crew life, and education.
• Must be willing to uphold the images of both the MHYC-CS and the AmeriCorps Program.
• Must be willing to work hard, actively participate as part of a team, and be dedicated to the Youth Corp philosophy.
• Ability to adhere to the MHYC-CS policy which prohibits smoking and other tobacco use in MHYC-CS facilities, vehicles or project or camping sites.
• Experience in the outdoors and camping highly preferred
• Experience in trail work and/or ranch work highly preferred.
• Pre-employment background check and drug screen will be required. May implement drug testing throughout employment.
This is very physically demanding work! While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit and talk or listen. The employee is required to use hands to operate tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee may be required to hike up to five miles, at altitude, with a day pack. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to focus. The employee must be able to understand and communicate safety instructions as well as basic workplace instructions in English. The employee will be required to camp up to two weeks at a time.
Apply today online!!