Location: Gardiner, Montana
Reports To: Executive Director
The Yellowstone Association (YA) is a nonprofit educational organization that promotes the enjoyment and preservation of Yellowstone National Park through the education of park visitors. Our three main program areas are: 1) educational stores with gross sales of $4 million, 2) a membership program with more than 30,000 members, and 3) a field school which offers more than 500 in-depth courses each year. These programs are highly interdependent with the success of each contributing to the success of the entire organization. For a complete description of YA, please visit our website at www.YellowstoneAssociation.org.
The Yellowstone Association Institute is our nonprofit field school operated in partnership with the National Park Service (NPS). We offer a wide variety of educational programs on the wildlife, plants, geology, and history of Yellowstone. This year we will provide more than 100,000 contact hours of education for more about 6,000 park visitors (primarily adults and families). Courses are based at the Lamar Buffalo Ranch Field Campus and the Yellowstone Overlook Field Campus, at park hotels, and in the backcountry.
The director of education sets the tone and direction of the Institute program by building a strong team, setting high standards, and maintaining our reputation for educational excellence. He or she is directly responsible for an operating budget of approximately $1.5 million and a staff of 8 year-round employees, 12-15 seasonal instructors, and 30 volunteers. Over the next year, the director will work closely with YA and NPS leaders to develop new long-range goals for the Institute program. Success in this position requires visionary leadership, excellent business sense, and a passion for providing life-changing educational experiences for park visitors.
• Develop and manage a broad selection of educational programs consistent with the mission and goals of YA and NPS; maintain the highest standards of quality and safety.
• Take the lead in developing new partnerships and programs which advance the educational mission of YA.
• Prepare and manage detailed annual work plans and budgets based on long-range goals; generate sufficient revenues to cover all related expenses.
• Supervise management staff and oversee the recruiting, training, motivation, and evaluation of all Institute employees and volunteers; foster a culture of teamwork and an emphasis on achieving results.
• Maintain excellent working relationships with NPS, the United States Forest Service, Xanterra Parks & Resorts, and other park partners.
• Serve on a staff leadership team to address issues such as long-range planning, short-term problem solving, and interdepartmental cooperation.
• Represent the Institute and its mission to diverse audiences.
The ideal applicant will be a strong leader with an advanced degree in a related field who has managed an educational program with an operating budget of more than $1 million for at least five years. This position requires demonstrated ability in program development, staff supervision, budget management, facility operation, and marketing. Previous experience with public land partnership, wilderness risk management, and volunteer programs is preferred. All applicants must have excellent writing and speaking skills, strong computer skills (MS Office), and a clear commitment to environmental education.
Annual salary of $60,000 to $65,000 based on qualifications. Benefits include paid vacation and holidays, retirement program, and flexible benefit plan. Modest housing inside Yellowstone National Park is available for rent from the National Park Service at a reasonable rate.
Benefits of this position include knowing that your efforts directly benefit Yellowstone National Park and having the opportunity to live and work in one of the world’s premiere wilderness areas.
Please send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to:
This position will remain open until filled. Employment will begin as soon as possible.
The Yellowstone Association is an equal opportunity employer.