www.PickUpAmerica.org seeks a Waste Vegetable Oil Mechanic for the 2011 season of a cross-country adventure to pick up trash. The candidate must be willing to travel with the team for the year.
While on the road, the ideal candidate will:
- Lead the waste vegetable oil search
- Maintain or coordinate maintenance of our bus and/or truck when needed.
- Plan and lead informal workshops on WVO.
- Seek out biodiesel vendors to purchase fuel when necessary.
- Write a blog post once every two weeks.
- Participate in one weekly meeting with the entire crew.
- Walk & pick up trash for four days, work two days, and have one day off each week.
- Live closely, do chores, and be adaptable with the rest of the team.
Before hitting the road on March 20, 2011, the ideal candidate will:
- Seal the deal on a bus purchase.
- Perform necessary conversions to fleet.
- Seek out sponsors and/or grants to fund purchase and WVO conversion.
- Contact biodiesel co-ops or distributors along our route to let them know we’re coming.
- Plan informal information about WVO.
Must be passionate for a youth-led, grassroots, on-the-road social and environmental movement. Must have ability to self-teach, self-motivate, and self-start. With that comes freedom to make this YOUR project.
Position is unpaid, but modest living and work expenses are covered. We’re all volunteers. Benefits include slow travel across the American landscape, meeting the most awesome people in the world, nonprofit start-up experience, working with young sustainabilists, and being awesome.
Please send a resume, references, and letter of intent to PickUpAmerica at gmail dot com ☺ Positions will ideally be filled by January 2011.
* Pick Up America is on a mission to walk across the country, pick up trash, and inspire a transition toward zero waste. The project hit the road March 20, 2010, and has since picked up 75,000 pounds of trash over 750 miles of road. The group emphasizes education in grade schools to reach the generation that will be most effected by our current disposable culture.