www.PickUpAmerica.org seeks an Events Planner for the 2011 season of a cross-country adventure to pick up trash. The candidate must be willing to travel with the team for the year.
The candidate must be passionate for a youth-led, grassroots, on-the-road social and environmental movement. Must have ability to self-teach, self-motivate, and self-start. With that comes freedom to make this YOUR project.
While on the road, the main tasks of the Events Planner are to:
• Figure out the Who, What, Where, When, and Why for Pick Up America’s on-the-road events, except education events.
• Work closely with the Director of Community Outreach and Arts Director to solidify group or individual participation for planned events.
• Solicit corporate sponsors for our large events in 2011 targeted in Cincinnati, Bloomington, St. Louis, Columbia, Kansas City, and Boulder.
• Be the on-the-ground point person that co-manages our events with local organizers.
• Update calendars with daily locations for weekday volunteers.
• Write a blog post once every two weeks.
• Participate in one weekly meeting with the entire crew.
• Walk & pick up trash for four days, work two days, and have one day off each week.
• Live closely, do chores, and be adaptable with the rest of the team.
Before hitting the road on March 20, 2011, the Events Planner will work with the team to:
• Finalize Events Menu – including an internal outreach-targeting document.
• Help write grant proposals.
• Research and solicit strategic partners (nonprofits, churches, community organizers, governing entities, leaders, vendors, etc.) along our proposed route.
• Help fundraise in creative ways.
Pick Up America emphasizes art and community stewardship in our daily lives as opposed to unnecessary shopping/consumption. With that in mind, we try our best to tailor events that support this idea in a community. Potential events may include (but aren’t limited to) flash mobs, trash sculptures, large formations for aerial photos, events at the state Capitol or significant landmarks. We like open-mics, potlucks, shows, fundraisers, dinners, and art performances.
Position is unpaid, but modest living and work expenses are covered. We’re all volunteers. Benefits include slow travel across the American landscape, meeting the most awesome people in the world, nonprofit start-up experience, working with young sustainabilists, and being awesome.
Please send a resume, references, and letter of intent to PickUpAmerica at gmail dot com ☺ Positions will ideally be filled by the end of January 2011.
* Pick Up America is on a mission to walk across the country, pick up trash, and inspire a transition toward zero waste. The project hit the road March 20, 2010, and has since picked up 75,000 pounds of trash over 750 miles of road. The group emphasizes education in grade schools to reach the generation that will be most effected by our current disposable culture.