Bay Area Wilderness Training operates from its headquarters in downtown Oakland. Trips involve the transportation of equipment and participants to and from the remote locations. The Program Director position will work under the direct supervision of the Founder & CEO, and manages at least one full time staff and multiple interns. We are looking for a highly organized, self-motivated, enthusiastic, and mature individual. Must be willing to work some nights and weekends, bringing positive energy, vision and drive to our fast moving work environment.
* Minimum two years Program Management experience within the field
* Current Wilderness First Responder (or WEMT)
* Demonstrated experience serving in a leadership role with diverse populations of adults and youth
* Ability to perform as the primary leader in the field
* Experience in leading Teambuilding Initiatives
* Experience leading extended backpacking trips for both adults and youth
* Experience and knowledge relating to Natural History and Environmental Education and ability to impart knowledge through pre-designed BAWT curriculum while on course
* Basic computer skills, with knowledge of MS Office Applications
Familiarity with California's Wilderness and Open Space Areas. Strong background in education, classroom or experiential. Experience with program Risk Management for wilderness trips. Experience with Data Base Software. Inventory experience.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Co-create and regularly edit program curriculum for currently existing and future Wilderness Leadership Trainings, one day and/or weekend long courses.
* Directly administrate and facilitate, with co-leader when necessary, all workshops (excepting those subcontracted to other vendors)
* Prepare and update Wilderness Leadership Course Guide as well as all other written materials given to course participants.
* Manage BAWT's Oakland Gear library, offering support to both San Francisco and Milpitas gear library locations.
* Manage Camping at the Presidio Program Associate
* Support course participants as a resource (on phone or -e-mail)
* Utilizing volunteers, interns and staff, oversee management of BAWT's gear loan system. Keep a meticulous inventory of all gear used for gear loan system.
* Administrate BAWT mobile program, lead orientations for new members
* Administrate Richard Louv Mini-Grant Program
Administration and Client Support
* Act as a support to BAWT clients (teachers and youth workers), helping them to plan camping and backpacking trips
* Periodic equipment inspections and minor repairs, maintaining gear cleanliness and functionality, mailing out or transporting gear for repair as appropriate
* Manage the stock of BAWT literature and instructor curricula
* Facilitate the increase of knowledge of BAWT clients about the natural environment, experiential education theory and practices, people management issues, weather and gear care
* Serve as a representative of BAWT to participants and other relevant organizations and individuals
* Other projects as assigned
Personnel and Volunteer Management
* Work with the Executive Director to recruit and manage field and office volunteers for BAWT
* Recruit, hire and manage Program Interns and Camping at the Presidio Program Associate
* Mentor South Bay Program Manager, as necessary
* Coordinate workshop volunteers
Outreach and Community Relations
* Represent BAWT in the community.
* This includes but is not limited to: Youth Agency recruitment phone calls and site visits, conferences, staff workshops, special events as part of outreach to new and potential clients
* Maintain and update content relevant to BAWT's programs on web site
* Facilitate and lead the Program Committee
* Attend Steering Committee meetings as needed
Salaried, compensation depends on experience.
40 hours per week.
Great benefits package.
Application Deadline: 2/6/11
Estimated Start Date: 3/10/11 or 4/10/11
Send cover letter with resume, relevant writing sample and three references to:
Bay Area Wilderness Training
Program Director Position
2301 Broadway, Suite B
Oakland, CA 94612
Fax: (510) 452-8335
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with "Program Director Position" in subject line
No calls please. BAWT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color highly encouraged to apply. See original post here: http://www.bawt.org/involve/jobs2.php4