Applications due Saturday, September 10, 2011
Are you an SCA alum whose served in the last six years?
Are you interested in being a service and conservation leader?
Submit an application by 9/10/2011 to join the alumni council.
In SCA’s 50th year, we launched the SCA Alumni Council to be a voice for alumni within SCA and to lead the conservation service movement in their communities.
As SCA steps into our second 50 years, we believe we must take a broader view of our role in addressing the nation’s conservation needs. Over the next five years, SCA plans to double the number of members it places in the field each year. We will reach out to our 60,000 alumni, and the general public, to lead and inspire direct conservation service and conservation education/training. Key to SCA’s success in conservation service is engaging our alumni.
The mission of the Alumni Council is:
- to be strong conservation leaders
- to connect alumni within their communities by leading service projects and gatherings
- to be a voice for alumni by providing advice and feedback to SCA and
- to actively represent SCA and our conservation ethos
The Alumni Council’s focus will be on:
- service - leading service projects in their own communities and inspiring others to lead and participate in them as well and
- leadership - playing an advisory role for staff and the Board of Directors as SCA continues to serve the conservation community.
The SCA Alumni Council consists of 12-15 alumni who have served with SCA in the last six years. Alumni Council terms will be two years. Approximately half of the Council will be returning and half will be new members. The Council will encompass and embrace the diversity of SCA members in all ways. It will meet in-person once a year (October), and supplement those meetings with regular conference calls. Reasonable expenses will be covered by SCA.
Expectations of SCA’s Alumni Council
- Council members will provide insight and advice, as requested, as SCA grows and thrives. Potential areas of involvement include alumni engagement/ services and conservation outreach. There will be opportunities for Council members to suggest other areas of involvement.
- The Council will maximize the opportunities to engage and re-engage alumni in the work and mission of SCA, specifically, by engaging alumni in conservation service.
- Council members are expected to fully participate in each meeting and conference call.
- Council members are expected to coordinate or support at least one alumni service project and support the alumni events in their regions.
- Council members are expected to donate to SCA in an amount that is meaningful to them.
- Council members are expected to represent SCA in their communities to promote conservation and environmental education.
If you are an alum who has served with SCA in the last six years and are interested in being a conservation and service leader, submit your application today.
If you are unable to commit to serving on the Alumni Council but would like to help others discover the opportunities SCA has to offer, please consider becoming an SCA Ambassador.
Questions: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org