Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualiﬁed applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students ages 15-19 for the Houston Summer Conservation Crew Program.
Program Dates: 6-8 week period between June 1 - August 30, 2014 (TBD)
- Supervise and manage crew members during the work day and provide an emotionally and physically safe environment
- Train and supervise crew members in all aspects of the service project (including safe and proper use of tools, trail construction and maintenance, habitat restoration, construction projects, etc.)
- Facilitate worksite logistics and project schedules
- Maintain all tools, equipment, medical and ﬁrst aid supplies
- Plan and teach environmental education lessons
- Maintain relationship with site partner while managing logistics related to the site: partner needs, schedule, projects, and crew training per project.
- Manage a budget and purchase the gear and supplies needed for projects
- Organize and lead recreational camping trip after completion of work project. Typical trip will include backpacking, hiking, canoeing, sightseeing, ﬁshing, etc
- Communicate with full time SCA ﬁeld staff as required and as needed
- Complete all administrative aspects of the crew including but not limited to required pre- and post-program paperwork, daily medical and work logs, equipment inventories, and ﬁnal reports and documentation
- Follow all SCA policies & procedures as required for the position
- Experience working with diverse, urban youth and young adults (ages 14-19); experience as a teacher or leader in an informal and/or formal educational setting preferred
- Familiarity with conservation work skills or related skills, like. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Previous outdoor and camping experience preferred
- Proven ability to manage complex logistics in an organized fashion
- Capability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements; must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more, use a variety of hand tools; hike, camp, and work in a variety of weather conditions
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader site visits one week before the beginning of the program—exact dates dependent upon partner availability
- Attend Mandatory Crew Leader training either (1) June 4 – June 13, 2014 OR (2) June 18 – June 27, 2014
- Must have personal housing arrangements in Houston or surrounding area
- Current First Aid and CPR certiﬁcations required by the start of the training
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
Up to $4000 total salary depending on experience & program length
Paid Crew Leader Training & Work Skills (travel, food & lodging provided)
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a proﬁle, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org