SCA Houston Joins Sheldon Lake State Park Earth Day: Come Help “Green the Prairie!”
Saturday, April 20th from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm
Join SCA in the Sheldon Lake State Park Earth Day and help restore Houston’s Native Prairie habitat on Saturday, April 20th.
- When: April 20, 2013, 8:00am – 12:00pm
- Where: Sheldon Lake State Park,15315 Beaumont Hwy, Houston, TX 77049. The entrance is off the Beaumont Hwy/Business 90, **be sure to enter this address if you are using Google maps or a GPS unit.**
- What: Spend the morning helping the park restore former farmland to native coastal Prairie. Around 100 volunteers are needed to help plant 3,000 prairie grass and forbs.
- Who: SCA alumni, SCA supporters, community members, SCA staff, Parks and Recreation staff and volunteers, community members, friends.
- Why: To celebrate our Earth, work together to beautify our community, get youth and community members involved.
- REGISTER: Register Here! Please Register by April 15th.
- Questions: Email Julie Mintzer or go to theSheldon Lake State Park Website.
In partnership with our local partners:
- The Brown Foundation, Inc
- The Carruth Foundation, Inc.
- Houston Endowment, Inc.
- The Jacob and Terese Hershey Foundation
- Marathon Oil
- Motiva Enterprises, LLC
- Peterson Charitable Lead Trust
- The Wortham Foundation, Inc.
- We will be working on a variety of prairie restoration projects. No experience necessary and all equipment will be provided. Mentors will be in the field to assist in planting, and answer any questions. Volunteers should be at least 14-years-old and capable of digging and planting, but all family groups are welcome. There will be something for everyone!
- Please dress for the weather and wear long pants, close-toed shoes (sturdy hiking or rubber boots recommended), hat, sunglasses (for sun protection),
- Please bring a refillable water bottles and work gloves if you have them. Pack a picnic lunch to enjoy after the hard work in the prairie.
- Volunteers age 18 and over: To participate in this event we need you to sign a Participant Agreement Form (download below). It will help with registration the morning of the event, if you can review and sign the forms prior to arrival. Please take a moment to print and fill out the form.
- Volunteers age 14-18:You must bring the Participant Agreement Form, completed by a parent or guardian, to the event (download the form below). (If your parent/guardian accompanies you to the event, you may complete the forms at the work site.) Unaccompanied minors without a completed and signed form will not be permitted to participate in any activities.
- Questions? Email Julie Mintzer , email Laura Babcock, or call Laura at 281/ 456-2800 x230.