Week 4

Week 4

June 11-14

 

This week we finally started to work with the Sulpher Ranger District, our first assignment was to help build barrier for a campsite to help keep people on the road. During this assignment, Project leader Tim Gurnett worked heavily with corps members Paul and Sam as well as corps members from Arapaho Team 2 in bucking and limbing operations in creating new barriers, meanwhile the other three corps-members,  worked with the rest of Arapaho Team 2, in pulling out the old barriers who had decayed past use, which involved digging and pulling out 2 rebars, and three feet of concrete per single previous barrier, plus a roughly nine feet long and 12 inch diameter of a log which needed to also be bucked up to fit in the back of the trailer, this work was done for recreation, by the fire crews, and the VFC it was expected to take us two to three weeks and we finished the project in less than five days, and had all of our assigned area on the campsite done. At first it was slow going for us, but once we developed a system especially with, getting the concrete blocks out, it got to be hard but quick work. This was a good first project for the crew especially because it gave the new sawyers time to get used to chainsaw, and how to safely control them chain, it also gave the supervisors a chance to watch and make suggestions to them to help improve their abilities.