Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks experienced, quality oriented outdoor leaders to lead, educate, and inspire high school students for the summer of 2015.
Co-lead, mentor and coach a crew of 10 students, ages 14-19, while completing various conservation service projects designed to build an ethic of community and environmental stewardship. Projects include a range of activities such as trail and park maintenance, habitat restoration, revitalization of abandoned urban properties or to urban agriculture. In addition, leaders will facilitate pre- and post- program planning which includes crew training, environmental education and reporting. Program locations: Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Milwaukee, New Jersey, San Francisco Bay Area, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Washington D.C.
- Follow all SCA policies & procedures as required for the position
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Facilitate crew operations: tools & equipment, work schedule, etc.
- Manage all medical and ﬁrst aid aspects
- Communicate with full time SCA ﬁeld staff as required
- Supervise crew members during the work day
- Train & supervise Crew Members in safe and proper tool use
- Organize & lead recreation trip after completion of work project
- Complete required program reporting and documentation
- Be at least 21 years old
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Valid driver’s license
- Successful completion of criminal background check & MVR check within SCA guidelines
- Must possess current First Aid certiﬁcation & CPR by the start of the orientation training.
- Documented experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18)
- Experience as a teacher or leader in an informal or formal educational environment
- Preferred experience with conservation work skills or related skills, i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening.
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more.
- Must have personal housing arrangements in program city
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
Starting salary $490/week; mandatory paid Crew Leader Orientation & Work Skills (food & lodging provided); travel allowance to training and to each program site; Food & group gear provided during program. Work Schedule 8hrs/day, M-F.
Crew Leader Orientation & Work Skills (travel, food & lodging provided)
(Training dates and work schedule vary depending on location)
To Apply: Visit MySCA to Login or Sign-up. Create a proﬁle, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org