Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualiﬁed applicants to lead, educate, and inspire youth crews in the Community Crew Program working in Chicago, over a 6 week period of time in the summer of 2014.
Co-lead, mentor and coach a crew of 10-12 students, ages 15-19, while completing various conservation service projects designed to build an ethic of community and environmental stewardship. Projects include a range of activities such as habitat restoration, urban revitalization of open space, trail, park, and nature preserve maintenance in the Chicago Park District and the Forest Preserves of Cook County land.
Program Dates: June 29 – August 7, 2015 and a mandatory Training from June 10 – June 20, 2015.
- Follow all SCA policies & procedures as required for the position
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Facilitate crew operations: tools & equipment, work schedule, etc.
- Manage all medical and ﬁrst aid aspects
- Communicate with full time SCA ﬁeld staff as required
- Supervise crew members during the work day
- Train & supervise Crew Members in safe and proper tool use
- Organize & lead environmental education days and a recreation trip after completion of work projects
- Complete required program reporting and documentation
- Be at least 21 years old
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility veriﬁcation document form upon hire
- Valid driver’s license
- Successful completion of criminal background check & MVR check within SCA guidelines
- Must possess current First Aid certiﬁcation & CPR by the start of the orientation training
- Documented experience working with urban youth or young adults (ages 14-18)
- Experience as a teacher or leader in an informal or formal educational environment
- Preferred experience with conservation work skills or related skills, i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, urban agriculture, aquaponics, and GIS.
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Attend Mandatory Leader training June 10 – June 20, 2015
- Must have personal housing arrangements in Chicago or the surrounding area
Compensation: $575/week, depending on experience, for up to 8 weeks. Paid Crew Leader Training & Work Skills ($455/week, travel, food & lodging provided)
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a proﬁle, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Chicago Community Leader” listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org