On the third weekend of October of this year, the Outdoor Nation San Francisco Summit brought together young outdoorsmen from all over the US to encourage them to lead their peers off of the couch and into the foliage. SCA’s Alumni Council gathered at the event to play a special role: Highlighting the fact that an active outdoor lifestyle is the perfect precursor to a career in conservation.Read more
Arizona | California |Colorado | Hawaii | Nevada | New Mexico | Utah
The Bureau of Land Management credits SCA teams in Southern California with “rewriting the book” on desert restoration. The Los Angeles Times reports that thanks to our Station Fire recovery project, Angeles National Forest “is starting to look like its old self again.” And along the Paciﬁc Crest Trail, our expert crews are among the few who still perform strenuous heavy rock work – by hand.
The ecological needs of California and the Southwest are distinctive – and so are SCA solutions. We make vital improvements every day to iconic area parks like Yosemite, Arches and Canyon de Chelly. We prepare young military veterans for careers in wildland ﬁreﬁghting in Arizona’s national forests, and SCA’s Bay Area Community Conservation Programs provide jobs, training and opportunities for hundreds of local, under-served youth.
This is how SCA builds “the next generation of conservation leaders” in the California-Southwest region.
- 874 (2013)
- East Bay Regional Parks/San Mateo County Parks community conservation crews
- Veterans Fire Corps
- Desert Restoration Corps
- Yosemite National Park
- Klamath National Forest
- California Desert Conservation Area (BLM)
- Eldorado National Forest
- City of Oakland
- Bureau of Land Management-Nevada
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Haleakala National Park
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- S.D. Bechtel, Jr. Foundation - Bay Area Community Program, CA Program Continuum
- Paciﬁc Foundation Services - Bay Area Community Program
- California Off Highway Motorized Vehicle Dept./CA State Parks - Desert Restoration Program
- Yosemite Conservancy - Yosemite National Park programming
- Bureau of Land Management - California WildCorps
- Mammoth Mountain Ski Area
- Delaware North
News, Stories & Projects
Student Conservation Association volunteers, in association with Save the Redwoods League and the Garden Club of America, and under the guidance of California State Parks have helped rebuild the River Trail access to the Humboldt Redwoods State Park, along the Eel River, after a massive fire swept through portions of the park in 2003.
Get the full picture from NBC-affiliate KNTV Channel 11:Read more
CHARLESTOWN, N.H.—The Student Conservation Association (SCA), in partnership with American Eagle Outﬁtters, hosts its second annual Alternative Spring Break (ASB) program in the Grand Canyon.Read more